Ofqual has now published proposals giving an indication on the Autumn exam dates, with AS and A Levels planned for October, and GCSEs planned for November.
“Our decisions (are) following consultation on the exceptional arrangements for awarding calculated grades in GCSEs, AS and A levels this summer; and proposals for an autumn exam series.
An important feature of the overall arrangements this summer is the planned additional exam series in the autumn, which will provide an opportunity for students unable to receive a calculated grade, and others who would like the opportunity to improve their grade, to take an exam.”
Ofqual set out the consultation document after having worked closely with the Department for Education and exam boards, and listening to groups representing students, school and college leaders.
- Exam boards to offer exams in all subjects, with the full suite of papers as per summer exams
- AS and A Level exams should take place in October and GCSE exams in November
- Exact timing to be confirmed by Ofqual
- The extent of non-exam assessment (NEA) pre-20th March will vary by centre and subject
- How far it will be possible for students to undertake new non-exam assessments in the autumn will also vary
The online consultation is open until Monday 8 June 2020.
Ofqual useful links:
GCSE & A Level Consultation Outcomes:
Link to Summer 2020 Qualification Explainer Tool: https://analytics.ofqual.gov.uk/
Ofqual’s process for awarding GCSEs and A-Levels in 2020 – Infographic